Saturday, February 7, 2015

Switzerland at the Wade's Residence

First thing to greet us was a darling rustic table laden with cheese fondue and yummy things to dip in it…pearl onions, Swiss sausage (which were strange looking), Brussels sprouts, and pickles. An old painting done by Denise’s father was a quaint backdrop. They even had meat and cheese laid out to look like a Swiss cross.

As always her table setting was adorable.

Our salad was fabulous. I really liked the combo of flavors from the oranges, avocados, and fennel.

At this point I was struggling with liking all three pinots! Strange isn’t it? I think the food matched the special characteristics of the pinot well.

The main course was Zurcher Geschnetzeltes Rosti (German for sliced meat Zurich style). This is a slightly crunchy potato pancake, with thinly sliced veal and mushrooms in a rich cream sauce.

Dessert was of course fondue… Swiss-chocolate with strawberries, bananas, chopped up croissants, and homemade marshmallows.


I have to admit when they told me I had to bring a Pinot Noir I was not thrilled. Typically I don’t like pinot, unless it’s super expensive and then it’s just okay. So I sent Joe to Trader Joe's to buy a recommended bottle.The Shetlers took home the coveted gold plastic medal with a 2012 Sonoma Loeb. The Wades came in second with Moniz Family, 2012. We came in dead last with 2013 Meiomi. I did like ours best without food pairing, but it didn’t hold up to the meat dish.

No comments:

Post a Comment